My name is Katie and I love cabbage. I never really thought I’d say that. I’m not a huge fan of coleslaw. In fact, I usually use broccoli instead of cabbage when making it.
However, I’ve learned that if I don’t like something, sometimes I just need to either try making it myself or try a completely different way of preparing it. I’m part Irish and I found that I have a soft spot for cooked cabbage. These roasted cabbage slices are delicious.
How to Roast Cabbage Slices
These roasted cabbage slices are crazy good. They are also so easy that I feel bad posting them as a recipe! All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- Cut a whole cabbage into thick slices
- Drizzle with oil
- Sprinkle on some salt and pepper
- Roast them at 400°F until browned and crispy
They are crunchy and salty but still healthy. Sometimes I like to sprinkle on different spices to give the cabbage slices a different flavor profile. Garlic powder is always a favorite around here. I’ve also done taco seasoning a couple of times.
A note on cutting the cabbage: I like to leave the core in because it helps hold the cabbage slices together. It’s easy to eat around and parts of the core that are too tough. For the same reason, I like to slice it from side to side going in the same direction as the stem. However, if you accidentally slice it from top to bottom don’t freak out. It’ll still work just fine and taste just as delicious.
More Ways to Enjoy Cabbage
Besides just eating these cabbage slices plain, I sometimes use them as the “spaghetti” for spaghetti and meatballs. It’s a particularly great way to use up leftovers. I also like them topped with an over-easy egg for breakfast.
If you’re still looking for additional cabbage recipes, maybe try one of these:
- Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry – is a fast, budget-friendly recipe that’s still tasty.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage – one of my favorite ways to make corned beef and cabbage is by roasting them in the oven.
- One-Pot Tomato and Cabbage Soup – lacks the caramelized goodness of roasted cabbage, but it’s warm and flavorful and perfect on a cold day. Not part of the recipe, but it’s delicious with spicy Italian sausage.
- Pan-Fried with Bacon and Onion – Not my recipe, but what’s not to love?
- Taco Slaw – If you like raw cabbage, this taco slaw is tangy and a little spicy and great on all kinds of tacos.
Mmm, now cabbage sounds delicious to you too, doesn’t it? A whole, raw cabbage will keep for quite a long time in the fridge, so keep an eye out next summer when you’re at the farmers market. Snag a couple and stash them for when you need one. Or try growing a few of your own!
Roasted Cabbage Slices Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the cabbage from side to side into ½-1 inch thick slices.
- Oil a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Place the cabbage slices on the baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining oil. You may need to melt it if using a solid oil like coconut oil or tallow.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any additional desired herbs or spices.
- Place in the oven and roast for 45-50 minutes or until tender in the middle and sides are browned.
- If desired, broil for a few minutes for a more caramelized flavor.
- Remove and serve. Enjoy!
What is your favorite way to cook cabbage? Share below!